As you may be aware, our community at St. Francis of Assisi has adopted a refugee family of 7 from Afghanistan. We are proud to report that the family has been working tirelessly to complete the immigration process and assimilate in the United States. During this time, funding is essential. Therefore, we are asking for your continued support and generosity. Any monetary donation you can make will be greatly appreciated. “And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.” (Hebrews 13:16)
In the near future, St. Francis of Assisi will host a get-together for all parishioners who wish to meet this wonderful family whom we have been so honored and blessed to help. Please make your tax deductible donations payable to St. Francis of Assisi Church.
On behalf of Father Ismael and your St. Francis of Assisi Refugee Committee, God bless!
His Holiness Pope Francis has granted a plenary indulgence opportunity for the 100th anniversary of the Fatima apparitions throughout the centennial year, which will end on November 26, 2017. There are three ways to obtain the indulgence, detailed in a statement from the Fatima Shrine in Portugal (see below).
To obtain the plenary indulgence, the faithful must also fulfill the ordinary conditions: go to Confession and Communion, be interiorly detached from sin, and pray for the intentions of the Holy Father.
1. Make a pilgrimage to the Shrine in Fatima, Portugal To the faithful who make a pilgrimage to the Fatima Shrine in Portugal and participate in a celebration of prayer dedicated to the Virgin. In addition, the faithful must pray the Our Father, recite the Creed and invoke the Mother of God. Pray before any statue of Our Lady of Fatima To the faithful who visit with devotion a statue of Our Lady of Fatima solemnly exposed for public veneration in any church, oratory or proper place during the days of the anniversary of the apparitions, the 13th of each month from May to October 2017, and there devoutly participate in some celebration or prayer in honor of the Virgin Mary. In addition, the faithful must pray the Our Father, recite the Creed and invoke Our Lady of Fatima.
2. In the Diocese of Oakland, Bishop Barber has designated Saint Joseph the Worker Parish in Berkeley as the Pilgrim Shrine for our Diocese. The Parish has prepared a series of celebrations in honor of our Lady, including a special Masses every month, and a celebration with Bishop Barber on October 13.
3. Elderly and infirmed: To the faithful who, because of age, illness or other serious cause, are unable to get around, may pray in front of a statue of Our Lady of Fatima and must spiritually unite themselves to the jubilee celebrations on the days of the apparitions, the 13th of each month, between May and October 2017. They must also “offer to merciful God with confidence, through Mary, their prayers and sufferings or the sacrifices they make in their own lives.”
May the Lord, through the intercession of Our Lady of Fatima, strengthen our faith, sustain our hope and ignite our charity.
Our next Senior Luncheon is scheduled for Tuesday, September 12th at Noon in the St. Pope John Paul II Center. All seniors are welcome. Come and join other parishioners for a lovely luncheon and companionship!
Food Pantry Activity in the Month of June:
• An emergency supply of food was given to 85 households (365 individuals).
• Food Maxx gift cards were given to 39 eligible families..
• Special Assistance (utility, rent, etc. ) was provided for 2 families.
Most Needed Food Items Every Month: (donation baskets are on the altar stairs) Apple or Grape Juice, Cheerios, Chicken Noodle or Vegetable Soup. Canned Corn, Tuna or Meats, Saltine or Graham Crackers, Cooking Oil, Rice, Dried Pinto Beans, or any non-perishable, non-expired items you wish to donate. We continue to need, and very much appreciate paper grocery bag donations.
SVdP is now collecting school supplies for children of our clients. Watch for sales at stores such as Target, Walmart, Big Lots, etc.. Donations of Backpacks, binders, paper, pencils, erasers, rulers, etc. are very much appreciated.
Food Pantry Hours: 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. on MONDAY, WEDNESDAY and FRIDAY. Closed on Tuesday and Thursday.
Shop or sell on eBay and support St. Francis of Assisi Church. Add us as your Favorite charity on eBay to see us as your preferred charity in eBay checkout. You will also be able to easily donate a portion of your proceeds to us when you sell on eBay AND get some of your seller fees waived and receive the tax credits. Visit our charity page today and be part of a growing eBay community that has donated hundreds of millions of dollars to thousands of charities.
Could YOU be a friend to the Caring Hands Program? The Next Caring Hands Volunteer training is coming up soon! If you have just an hour or two each week to offer friendship and occasional rides to a senior in you neighborhood. Caring Hands would love to talk with you. If volunteering won’t fit your schedule, perhaps you know of someone would might consider joining the team. Enriching matches and deep relationships are created with frail or isolated Contra Costa county seniors who treasure a friendly visit, a walk a social outing, or a ride to the doctor. The program is flexible and you could make a big difference. For an application or more information about Caring Hands, please contact Stacy Appel, Volunteer Coordinator at (925) 952-2999 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org