Sunday October 1st is our annual International Festival - save the date! Great food, games and fun for the whole family. Buy your raffle ticket after Mass on Sunday or in the Parish Office during the week for a chance to win cash prizes of $500, $1,000 or to $2,000. $5 per ticket or $20 for 5 chances to win.
REFUGEE FAMILY UPDATE
As you may be aware, our community at St. Francis of Assisi has adopted a refugee family of 7 from Afghanistan. We are proud to report that the family has been working tirelessly to complete the immigration process and assimilate in the United States. During this time, funding is essential. Therefore, we are asking for your continued support and generosity. Any monetary donation you can make will be greatly appreciated. “And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.” (Hebrews 13:16)
There is a second collection on November 4th and 5th for our FSA Refugee Fund.
On behalf of Father Ismael and your St. Francis of Assisi Refugee Committee, God bless!
September 5th at 4:30 pm in the Church
September 28th at 6:30 pm in the Church.
Forms will be available at the meetings or can be downloaded at http://sfaconcord.com/page/first-reconciliationcommunion-inenglish. Note: Please note that forms will no longer be processed through the Parish Office but only at one of the above meetings.
His Holiness Pope Francis has granted a plenary indulgence opportunity for the 100th anniversary of the Fatima apparitions throughout the centennial year, which will end on November 26, 2017. There are three ways to obtain the indulgence, detailed in a statement from the Fatima Shrine in Portugal (see below).
To obtain the plenary indulgence, the faithful must also fulfill the ordinary conditions: go to Confession and Communion, be interiorly detached from sin, and pray for the intentions of the Holy Father.
1. Make a pilgrimage to the Shrine in Fatima, Portugal To the faithful who make a pilgrimage to the Fatima Shrine in Portugal and participate in a celebration of prayer dedicated to the Virgin. In addition, the faithful must pray the Our Father, recite the Creed and invoke the Mother of God. Pray before any statue of Our Lady of Fatima To the faithful who visit with devotion a statue of Our Lady of Fatima solemnly exposed for public veneration in any church, oratory or proper place during the days of the anniversary of the apparitions, the 13th of each month from May to October 2017, and there devoutly participate in some celebration or prayer in honor of the Virgin Mary. In addition, the faithful must pray the Our Father, recite the Creed and invoke Our Lady of Fatima.
2. In the Diocese of Oakland, Bishop Barber has designated Saint Joseph the Worker Parish in Berkeley as the Pilgrim Shrine for our Diocese. The Parish has prepared a series of celebrations in honor of our Lady, including a special Masses every month, and a celebration with Bishop Barber on October 13.
3. Elderly and infirmed: To the faithful who, because of age, illness or other serious cause, are unable to get around, may pray in front of a statue of Our Lady of Fatima and must spiritually unite themselves to the jubilee celebrations on the days of the apparitions, the 13th of each month, between May and October 2017. They must also “offer to merciful God with confidence, through Mary, their prayers and sufferings or the sacrifices they make in their own lives.”
May the Lord, through the intercession of Our Lady of Fatima, strengthen our faith, sustain our hope and ignite our charity.
Our next Senior Luncheon is scheduled for Tuesday, October 10th at Noon in the St. Pope John Paul II Center. All seniors are welcome. Come and join other parishioners for a lovely luncheon and companionship!
Food Pantry Activity in the Month of July:
• An emergency supply of food was given to 96 households (393 individuals).
• Food Maxx gift cards were given to 42 eligible families..
• Special Assistance (utility, rent, etc. ) was provided for 2 families.
Most Needed Food Items Every Month: (donation baskets are on the altar stairs) Apple or Grape Juice, Cheerios, Chicken Noodle or Vegetable Soup. Canned Corn, Tuna or Meats, Saltine or Graham Crackers, Cooking Oil, Rice, Dried Pinto Beans, or any non-perishable, non-expired items you wish to donate. We continue to need, and very much appreciate paper grocery bag donations.
SVdP is now collecting school supplies for children of our clients. Watch for sales at stores such as Target, Walmart, Big Lots, etc.. Donations of Backpacks, binders, paper, pencils, erasers, rulers, etc. are very much appreciated.
Food Pantry Hours: 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. on MONDAY, WEDNESDAY and FRIDAY. Closed on Tuesday and Thursday.
Shop or sell on eBay and support St. Francis of Assisi Church. Add us as your Favorite charity on eBay to see us as your preferred charity in eBay checkout. You will also be able to easily donate a portion of your proceeds to us when you sell on eBay AND get some of your seller fees waived and receive the tax credits. Visit our charity page today and be part of a growing eBay community that has donated hundreds of millions of dollars to thousands of charities.
Our HEALTH MINISTRY will have a fund raiser on Sunday, September 24th, from 8 am to 1 pm in the Hospitality Room . They will have donuts, muffins, coffee, flowers and plants for sale. Please stop by and visit and see what they have to offer.